Site Meter

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

You've Come a Long Way, Baby

Theme Thursday - Camera



My first camera was this cute little Kodak Brownie that I used to hold so seriously at waist level, carefully lining up my desired image, before I snapped away, hoping for a fabulous picture. It would, of course, take weeks to find out just how successful that shot had been, having to first  complete the roll of film and then wait to have it developed. Now, thanks to the digital age, I know immediately if my shot is a winner. And film? What's that?

How far we have come. Not that I traveled west in a covered wagon, but I have lived long enough to be amazed by technological advances. I can vividly recall that boxy first  television with its teensy greenish screen and one channel.  Now my tv is flat, large, crystal clear, multi-hued, and I don't even have to get up off my arse to select one of its many high definition channels.

I can instantaneously send a message to a friend on another continent. No more getting soaked putting my car into the garage in the rain, as I can push a button from inside the car and the door opens, like magic. Cars can talk, directing me to my destination. On and on.

I love the convenience and ready-set-go of today's world, but there is a big part of me that fondly remembers those days of the Brownie box camera...when everything was so much simpler. But, yes, we've come a long way.






6 comments:

  1. there are several things i long for from my youth...we have come a long way, but i miss the scratch of a needle on the record and the pops and cracks...and spending all afternoon arranging slides for the show...happy tt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My fist was a little Kodak Instamatic. I loved that little thing. I never had flash bulbs for it, so I always had to take outside shots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have come a long way! Our kids can't imagine taking your film in to be developed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janice, I, for one, am very glad we've come a long way. I commented on this very thing to AngelSpouse on our recent trip as I snapped away hoping some of the photos would turn out and knowing that the ones that didn't could easily be trashed without worry. Sometimes the "wait" for things is half the fun - like smelling the chocolate chip cookies in the oven before you get to eat them - but when it comes to photos I'd just as soon know NOW - not later. I'm a modern gal, I guess. Or something. Maybe. I try, anyway. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the digital age! No more buying film or waiting for it to be developed. And I can "virtually" develop the raw shots on my computer without having to mess with (or breathe in) dangerous chemicals. I'm especially fascinated with converting pictures to black & white in Photoshop; it's just like being back in the darkroom creating silver gelatin prints, making sure every nuance of black & gray & white comes out just right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My first camera was just like yours. My dad, who worked at the airport, found it there. When no one claimed it, he brought it home to me. We had the film on it developed, and got a bunch of silly photos of a family on vacation (I assume) at a beach. i always felt badly that they never got to see the pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment. I'd love to hear from you.