Site Meter

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

To Resolve or Not To Resolve

New Year's resolutions, for me, tend to be a waste of time...mostly because they are the same every year (exercise, lose weight, ho-hum...) and they are never fully kept. However, I am in the mood for a small change which I am not even going to call a resolution. So, no to resolve...and yes to evolve.

This 2011 evolution will consist of baby steps in the direction of bringing more openness into my daily life by:
1. saying what is on my mind rather than stifling myself
2. asking more questions, even unpopular ones
3. not worrying so much about what people think about me
4. relaxing my fear of conflict
5. developing a thicker skin

At the same time I want to retain my sensitivity to others' feelings and to be a kind person; I have no intention of morphing myself into a friendless know-it-all boor. I just think that a little more openness would be beneficial and help me enrich relationships with friends and family.

Baby steps...

5 comments:

  1. I like your list. I started number 1 on your list a couple of months ago. I sure feel a lot better, but others are a little perplexed: ) But seriously, we need to speak up for ourselves. We are the only ones that know how we feel and if we don't express that, we can't expect people to know. And your opinions and thoughts are just as important as anothers.
    I like your term 'evolution' as opposed to 'resolution'. Have a liberating New Year! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think that is a great list...and yes i think openness does a lot for relationships...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I prepped a NYE post in a similar vein yesterday! I'm like you my resolutions have been the same every year for so long and I haven't achieved any of them so something new is required. I have a good feeling about 2011 don't know why I just do. Hope yours is all you wish it to be and that you evolve into the person you seek.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the evolution! I love the whole thing. Last year I practiced #1, #3 and #4. It helped for me to write little 3x5 cards and leave them in places I would see daily. I figured if I could accept myself while not out to hurt another, I was OK. Awesome reminders! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a huge list you have there. Any one of those things is enormously difficult to achieve, so I think you should add one more: don't feel you've failed if you slip. Even if all you're aiming for is baby steps. ;)

    You're quite right, of course. We set ourselves ridiculous targets each year and it's no wonder we give up.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment. I'd love to hear from you.