Site Meter

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Girl Sleuth


Theme Thursday - Mystery

It was Nancy Drew who, when I was a pre-teen, introduced me to the magical world of the mystery. Nancy was brave, intelligent and fearless; she could do it all.  I found this very appealing at a time when I was trying to figure out who I was and what I wanted from life. There weren't many role models in books that inspired me, at a young age, like she did.

Some things just don't change.  Though I now enjoy all types of books, I confess that I still get a charge out of a good mystery, trying to crime-solve while eagerly flipping the pages, sometimes reading into the wee hours of the morning.

As a regular visitor to my local library, I almost always have a mystery or two on my hold list. I love that they offer a vacation from more challenging works, which require concentration and a serious thinking cap.

I have often wondered what happened to my now ancient Nancy Drew collection. They are antiques today! All I know is that once I left for college, I never saw them again. Of course, I didn't miss them, either... that is, until much later. I suspect they rested, gathering dust, on my bedroom's book shelves for many years and were finally tossed. Too bad, as I wish I had them today.

So, just give me a comfy place to lounge, decent light, and my glasses; and I am off to another world, even if the butler really did do it. 

10 comments:

  1. glad that you enjoy books with mystery.
    wonderful reflections!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, I never really got into mystery books as a youngster but did the usual Agatha Christie route in my 20's. Now I love the things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh i love to read...and a good mystery is just the thing. happy tt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always loved books and the mystery is my favorite genre. There's nothing like curling up with a good book...and having lots of free time to read it.
    A great TT post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read every single one of the Nancy Drew books when I was in third grade. LOVED them. Thanks for the fun trip down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wondered if anyone would do Nancy Drew today! I was completely obsessed when I was 10 years old!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read Nancy Drew's from cover to cover as quick as I could get them. Ahh, those were the days. The same thing probably happend to all of my old books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I probably read Nancy and the Hardy's but my earliest memories are of Hitchcock and Ellery Queen magazines followed by Rex Stout. I got into mysteries very early and have never looked back!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read all the originals and some updates with my girls. Funny how they take you back in time - the blue convertible, the styles

    moondustwriter

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by with kinds words.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment. I'd love to hear from you.