Site Meter

Saturday, June 13, 2015

No Biz Like It

I am so lucky that professional theater is right in my backyard. I love all types of theater: semi professional, community, high school, and even the occasional grammar school production; but there is no business like show business done by a professional cast. Period.

Take Book of Mormon...raucous, X-rated fun.  The audience was in hysterics. I could not believe the cleverness of this show, which is a bit of a new-comer to the theatrical scene. I am sure that I will attend local performances of BOM in the future, but nothing (except a trip to Broadway) will top this San Francisco production in my Memory Book. Yes, it takes a pro.


And now take A Little Night Music, the opposite side of the musical coin... formal, PG rated fun.  Sondheim takes his audience on a melodic journey that is not to be easily forgotten. Since the show originated in the 70s, I have been able to see local productions of this show, and - while I enjoyed  these smaller presentations - there is no comparison to what the pros are able to accomplish with the same material.

No Biz like Pro Biz. I guess that's why they get the bucks.

3 comments:

  1. I love theatre too!! Haven't seen BOM yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love theatre too!! Haven't seen BOM yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you liked "Book of Mormon" I'm going to see it when it plays in Eugene this fall!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment. I'd love to hear from you.