Site Meter

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Volunteer Tales



The View from my Desk

My days as a volunteer have officially begun. It's not that I needed more to do; it's that I felt like branching out now that -being retired- I have time to do exactly what I want to do. So, I signed up to work at the Luther Burbank Home and Gardens gift shop, passed the interview, completed the training, and survived my first day as greeter, tour organizer, and sales person of the store merchandise.

Scarlet Poppy





I was slightly nervous about operating the computer. It, of course, is v-e-r-y smart...even tells me how much change to give to the customer, but it is quite a complex machine, having multiple steps to opening and closing. Being a computer, I have to do everything exactly right or it doesn't do what it is supposed to do. However, the store traffic was light those first few days so I was able to successfully bumble through without causing any disasters.

The Back of the Burbank Home






Starting to get the hang of it and feeling moderately confident, I reported to duty a few days ago. As I approached the shop, I noted that there were many more people in the garden than usual and wondered why. It turned out there was a Master Gardener convention in town at the Hyatt, just a few blocks from the Burbank Gardens. Oh, my. I was swamped from the minute the doors opened and found myself dealing with multiple firsts: credit cards that were refused, merchandise that was nowhere to be found on the computer, running out of one dollar bills and quarters, and so on.

I survived.

The day was a fluke. Or, at least, I hope that is the case .






4 comments:

  1. It sounds like an interesting and fulfilling endeavor. Good for you for challenging yourself and doing something new : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep never a dull moment I'll bet. Sounds like a lovely way to wile away the hours. I would seriously love to 'work' because I want to, and not because I need to. Good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good for you- that sounds like a splendid way to volunteer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a fun bit of volunteering. Do you get to give tours? I did that once at Longfellow's Wayside Inn, dressed in period garb. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment. I'd love to hear from you.